Large Chicken House
Prefer to keep chickens on the cheap? From a houseful of hens to a gaggle of geese, a large chicken house is definitely a great solution to keep your chickens safe and sound. Commercially built coops are usually on the expensive side, so here are the top 5 solutions to build a super-sized coop that will not drain your bank account.
1. Do it yourself – You can get preassembled packages as well as hire a contractor to build a large chicken house, however budget-conscious chicken owners take on the task on their own. You can get plans to accommodate nearly size as well as budget. Try to find plans on the internet as well as in poultry-keeping books.
2. Go green – Instead of shopping the neighborhood home improvement store for brand new materials for your large chicken house, make use of recycled materials. Wood and also wire leftovers from long-finished house and garden projects can be included straight into your design and style. Do not limit the use of old materials to the coop itself. Make just like MacGyver and become imaginative with chicken house equipment, too. Use flowerpots for nests or even vinyl leftovers in order to line nest boxes as well as floors.
It’s also possible to go green simply by transforming what you currently have right into a large chicken house. From the big dog run that’s been unused for a long time to the abandoned tool shed, you could possibly curently have all that’s necessary to build coop for your chickens.
3. Enlist Our mother earth – Reduce heating along with cooling costs for your large chicken house through the use of nature. For example, plant large trees on the southern side of your chicken house. Simply by selecting varieties that shed their leaves during the cold months, you are able to offer cooling shade during the summer time as well as warm sunlight in the winter.
You may also let Mother Nature reduce expenses by just inserting ventilation, like window or vents, on the southern plus eastern sides of your house. Because the wind is actually not as likely to blow from these directions, you are able to provide fresh new air. As a result the chickens receive the air flow they want without the draftiness they don’t. Also is the fact that southern-facing windows will help warm up the coop during the winter season.
4. Plan for the future – Perhaps you are the very pleased owner of a dozen birds, but how many are you going to have within three or five years? When you build a large chicken house, think about using a design that enables you to effortlessly expand its capacity. It is correct that this could possibly cost a bit more right now, however it can save you big bucks as time goes on when you choose to add more chickens to the flock.
5. Moving day – Whether or not the flock requirements a shadier spot or possibly a fresh new patch of grass, there’s a chance you’re looking for a large chicken house that goes where you would like it to. Although wheels are acceptable for moving a small coop, a larger house should be on skids. When you’re ready to move the house out to another part of the property, just hitch it to tractor or riding mower and pull it to the brand new location.
A large chicken house should not put you inside the poorhouse. From reusing building materials to wise building placement, a little planning you are able to help reduce expenses without having to sacrifice high quality. The end result? More happy birds plus a fatter wallet–and who does not want that?